1 flock swab in viral transport media (i.e. Hank’s® Media)
- The individual collecting the swab should wear a face mask, gown, gloves and face shield (N95 not required, but highly encouraged).
- The distance from the patients nose to ear gives an estimate of the distance the swab should be inserted
- Tilt patient’s head back 70 degrees.
- Insert one swab straight back into one nostril (swab should reach depth equal to distance from nostrils to outer opening of ear).
- Leave in place for a few seconds.
- Repeat on the other nostril using the same swab on both nostrils.
- Immediately place the swab into a vial containing viral transport media (i.e. Hank’s® Media) and break off remaining shaft to close.
- Send the swab to the laboratory (tube station 91).